Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Music used to be my life.


Some of you already know I have a 2nd job as a professional vocalist. I've tried to hang-up my mike several times but just can't seem to let go.

It all began while I was a kid. I picked up a ketchup bottle and had the audacity to believe I was as good as Diana Ross. The Supremes were my pet dog and cat. Their choreography was horrible. I didn't care. I was living a dream.

It wasn't until high school that I got serious. I
auditioned and joined every school choir in existence except jazz. I preferred classical. I just couldn't stand the way the jazz choirs bobbed their heads and snap their fingers out of sync with the rest of the universe. Too many Diana's and not enough Supremes for me. Drove me nuts.

I sang in my 1st band while attending WSU. That's right. I'm a cougar, my friends. But that's another blog for another day.

Anyway, there I was covering all the popular cuts of brass soul bands like Tower of Power & Earth, Wind & Fire. We played for sororities, fraternities and other major events. I
think it was fun. I can't remember. Most of it's a blur but every time I think about it I get hot flashes. I think I'm embarrassed or is that menopause? hmmm.....

After college, marriage & twin boys I began my Christian music ministry. We were able to produce 4 CD's that were fairly successful. I'm still singing when I can. My biggest issue is time. Right now I've committed to only one major appearance since opening the shop. I go to Raleigh-Durham every year in December to minister w/my friends from New Horizons Fellowship. We simply have a ball.

Last Sunday night I was honored to appear as a guest with local, popular saxophonist, Darren Motamedy. By the way, if you get a chance you must go and listen to this gentleman. He's dah bomb. Not only is he a killer saxophonist he's wonderfully kind to his audience and fans.

Most of the time I sing with a local dance band. Type A! is a funk, r&b & dance band that performs at LOTS of weddings, festivals and corporate events. I don't know how I've been able to do it but this has been a 2nd job for me that offers a nice break from my routine. I think it's all possible simply because I'm not in charge of this gig. I just go and punch in, do my job then go home.

I've had people ask me if I sing while at home. No. Not at all. I'm too busy enjoying the quiet while I can get it. Sometimes I listen to the radio but most times that's on NPR.

I used to say, "Music is my life". Not any more. It's funny. I never thought I'd
not say that. I love music. It's a large part of enjoying life. I've not moved away from it. I've just now put it in it's proper place.

No comments: