Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Merry Christmas....I think.


I don't get it. What's all the fuss about Christmas? Why are folks trippin' because there are those of us who want to celebrate it's original intension? I mean, c'mon now! Christ is the 1st name in Christmas. Our belief in Christ Jesus & His resurrection is what differentiates us from other religions. We're not an exclusive club but one who is open to anyone who'd like to investigate & accept Him.

Christmas is the celebration of the birth of our Lord & Savior. It is not required by law for all to join in on our thanks. Anyone can celebrate part, all or none of the festivities that go along with the holiday. Heck, one could even alter the meaning of Christmas to suit their own lifestyle and/or beliefs...right? And honey, people do. Now, here's the part I don't quite understand. Given the origin of the holiday why must we get rid of all reminders of Christ? Is He that offensive?

Personally, I have a lot more respect for people who simple do not celebrate the holiday rather than make it a personal campaign to stop others from doing so as well. For example, I said, "Merry Christmas" to someone today. She responded by saying, "Well, I don't celebrate Christmas but thank you for the greeting anyway." Point taken & no offense taken by either of us. Maybe I should have assumed differently and given her a Jewish, Kwanza or Jehovah's witness greeting instead. Nah. She was way too mature to ask me to alter who
I am. Now, if the tables had been turned and she'd have greeted me with something other than the traditional Christmas salutation I would have been completely flattered. Imagine that....someone who likes me enough to throw some love my way their way.

I've heard many say it and it's true. We've become way too sensitive. Because of this many have jumped on the I-hate-PC wagon. Oh brother.

Years ago while attending WSU I was a waitress for Mr. Steak restaurant. A White gentleman was sitting alone in a booth in my section. As I approached his table and greeted him I asked him if he'd like a cup of coffee. He said yes. I asked him if he'd like cream. The poor guy stumbled as he tried desperately to tell me, "No. I'll take it bbb....uh...bblll...um...no cream." I didn't know whether to bust out laughing or cry for this poor guy. Good grief! What have we
done to people?! As I've heard the beautiful and talented India Arie sing, we need to, "Come back to the middle." Okay. I'm giving you fair warning. If you see me this holiday season I will wish you a Merry Christmas with all sincerity. Please don't be offended but know I really want that for you. Do me a favor, will ya? Receive it. Reciprocate and rejoice.

Merry Christmas, baby. :-)

1 comment:

Robin said...

" Please don't be offended but know I really want that for you. Do me a favor, will ya? Receive it. Reciprocate and rejoice".....

AMEN Sonya!!