Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Teenagers & Grey Hair


I don't get it. Listen, I knew when the guys became teenagers things would change but this is ridiculous ! Can folks get any more dogmatic, indecisive and loving at the same time?


Often, I find myself daydreaming about yester-year when they could barely get around, needed their faces wiped and certainly couldn't talk. Things change. They have to change. I accept that.


So, here's the difficult part. I can no longer control their choices. I'm learning to take the good w/the bad. I have to admit I get beyond frustrated w/the bad stuff. I keep telling myself, "They'll see it clearly one day.....if I don't kill 'em first."


When things get hairy w/Sky I go after, well, his hair. Case in point. We decided years ago to stop fighting him about his long, curly locks. With everything we have to deal with we figure hair is looooow on the list of issues. Okay. It's all good. But PLEASE, comb that mess!

He refuses. He claims he wants dreads. Oh please. Somebody help. There's a difference between dreads and a disorganized disaster.

I'd had it. I decided to take action on his "Sampson" mop top. While Sky was asleep I cut a little piece of of hair off our dog's behind. (It's curly there.) With dog hair in hand, I woke-up Sky and showed it to him. As he struggled to focus in on my hand I said, "And more will come off if you don't comb that mess on your head!"


I didn't lie to him. I was serious. If Sky didn't comb his hair Frankie's behind would continue to become hairless. I just failed to explain the part about our dog Frankie.

The rest of the story? Sky combed his hair THAT DAY and Frankie's hunker hair grew back.

Stay tuned for Tyler tales shortly. This one's gonna kill ya.



2 comments:

Shelby said...

Sonya- you continually crap me up!

Shannon said...

Oh, Sonya ... I'm trying hard not to laugh because I'm in our room and Dave's still sleeping.

You're hilarious. :) And, btw, one of the best moms I know.

It IS hard when they get to that age ... but they'll come around again. I keep telling myself that with Zac. If only they'd do everything the way WE'D do it! :)